Membership at Metropolitan United Church is a formal commitment to Metropolitan and the United Church of Canada. It involves deepening your relationship with this church and congregation, and exploring how we can apply the teachings of Jesus to the needs of our modern world.
We encourage an active membership at Metropolitan, whether through committee work or through the many day-to-day tasks that keep Metropolitan going. Stewardship of the church’s resources is another major component of membership.
If full membership is too much of a commitment, you are welcome to consider yourself an "adherent." An adherent is someone who is involved with the church, attends regularly, and may donate substantially, but has not taken the steps to become a member. At Metropolitan, we have hundreds of adherents who are very important to our church life, but membership remains the key to a deeper involvement in the church community. We also have many in the congregation who are members of two churches, our downtown church and perhaps another neighbourhood or hometown church. These people, too, add much to our church community.
How to become a Member
- Join us for our 11 a.m. service on Sunday. Get a feel for our church and its community.
- If you enjoy your experience at our service, contact the office at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone at 416-363-0331 ext 0.
- You will be invited to attend a Membership Class where you will have the opportunity to explore membership through story sharing, engaging with United Church history and theology, learning about ways to live out your faith, and doing a tour of the church.
- A few days later, one of our minsters will contact you to discuss your decision concerning membership.
- Once you have decided to join Metropolitan, you and other new members will be welcomed into the congregation as part of a Sunday worship service.
Membership is a process of discovery. Some people arrive at Metropolitan United as seasoned veterans of the United Church, while others are newcomers who have found faith and a new faith community in Metropolitan that they can call home. As members, we have a mission. In the words of Paul to the Colossians: "As God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience."