In word and in song, we recognize and give thanks for The Rev. Karen Bowles' leadership and ministry amongst us as Intentional Interim Lead Minister (2019-2021).
"Synthesis" according to the Shorter Oxford is "the putting together of parts so as to make a complex whole." This last Sunday, it is fitting, if ambitious, that I attempt to synthesize disparate parts of the faith journey: the story of the Tower of Babel, the story of Pentecost, and the perpetual presence of the Holy Spirit I have witnessed and lived, in ministry. We gather in virtual community with that Presence, yet again, on Sunday morning. Veni sancte Spiritus!
- Carillon: Vif (Berghuys)
- Silver Band: Madrigalum (Sparke)
- Come God, Creator, Holy Spirit (J.S. Bach)
- Variations on ‘Veni Creator’ (Duruflé)
- Readings: Genesis 11:1-9; Acts 2:1-21
- Sermon: "Synthesis" (The Rev. Karen Bowles)
- Anthem: I Will Not Leave You Comfortless (Byrd); A Gaelic Blessing (Rutter)
- Solo: Bridge Over Troubled Water (Simon)
- Postlude: Variation on “Veni Creator” (Duruflé)
Photo: "In the days to come, I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh." Acts 2:17, quoting Joel 2:28