Role: Communications and Production Specialist (PDF attached below)
Who we are
Metropolitan United Church (Met) is an affirming Christian congregation in downtown Toronto with an over 200-year history. We have a diverse offering of services and programs in the areas of Worship and Faith Formation, Sacred Music, Visual Arts, Compassionate Outreach and Congregational Care. Metropolitan became an affirming congregation in 1999, meaning we offer welcome, companionship, and leadership opportunities to members of the LGBTQ2S+ communities, and all people inclusive of age, ethnicity, gender identity, ability and sexual orientation. We also have a long history of engaging on social justice issues such as food insecurity, homelessness, poverty, environmental concerns and Reconciliation.
Since the COVID pandemic, the nature of our community has shifted to where 50% of us participate in-person in our grand neo-gothic building and 50% participate online through livestream and other virtual technologies.
We are seeking a Communications and Production Specialist to become part of our collaborative team. The Specialist supports our ministries by helping to tell the story of our church through various communication channels to both our existing community and others searching for the spiritual nourishment our church offers. The ideal person will be creative, flexible, calm in dynamic situations, and comfortable interacting with many different stakeholders, including: ministers, staff, committee members, contractors, and members of the congregation.
We are looking for someone with demonstrated skills in:
• marketing planning and implementation
• writing for print and the web
• graphic design
• website design and analytics
• social media
• broadcast emails
• livestream and sound production
Please note that training will be provided on all of our systems. Preference will be given to those candidates with an understanding of music, liturgy and working within the faith or not-for-profit sectors.
Communications and Production Specialist Overview and Key Responsibilities
This is a permanent position for 4 days a week, ideally with at least 3 days on-site.
This role will focus on two main areas: Marketing and Communications and Production.
Marketing and Communications
• Administering a yearly Marketing and Communications plan and budget
• Managing the website and app which includes writing, editing and posting to keep the website
current, reflective of the ongoing activities and new initiative of Met
• Integrating communications activities with online platforms such as Tithe.ly and Sunergo
• Designing and sending all broadcast emails
• Social media posting including coordinating paid ads/boosts
• Responding to social media comments and online reviews
• Posting Met services/events to relevant sites such as the Downtown BIA, Shining Waters Regional Council and others
• Writing and distributing press releases
• Writing and design for the website, brochures, and other promotional materials
• Coordinating paid advertisements
• Assisting in grant writing
• Managing outside signage
• Coordinating distribution of posters in the neighbourhood
• Management of a photo library
• Monthly reporting of attendance stats to the Worship Committee and to Official Board all
relevant communication metrics (attendance, social, website, media)
• Attendance at staff meetings and other meetings relevant to the role
• Marketing the church as a venue for rentals, film shoots and weddings through various channels
• Attendance at weekly Worship Planning meeting
• Managing the livestream program for all church activities including the equipment in the A/V
booth (liaising with suppliers for any issues)
• Arriving one hour in advance of program start times to set up for technical support
• Creating titles for livestreamed services and events
• Supporting the online worship hosts
• Providing tech support for congregational meetings
• Scheduling and training sound and video technicians to work in the booth for Sundays, special
services and events, weddings, funerals and rentals.
• Liaising with rental clients on tech needs and fulfillment.
• Staffing the booth for Met events
NOTE: this role gets first right of refusal to staff the booth for outside events such as rentals and weddings for additional compensation. In this case, staffing the booth is an ‘over and above ’activity and does not count towards the hours associated with this role.
Please send your resume, covering letter and samples of design and writing to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 6, 2023.