Unlike the more spiritualized version of the Beatitudes found in Matthew, in Luke's version of Jesus' famous sermon, we encounter some of the most direct and challenging words in the Gospels. In this week's sermon "Be a Tree", Rev. Meyers examines how Jesus' call demands making hard choices about how we will live as individuals and in community.
- Prelude: Various (Mendelssohn; France)
- Readings: Jeremiah 17:5–10; Psalm 1; Luke 6:17–26
- What a Friend/Yesu Kwetu ni Rafiki (arr. Burrows)
- Ubi Caritas (Gjeilo)
- “Cast Thy Burden” from Elijah (Mendelssohn)
- Sermon: "Be A Tree"
- Postlude: Sonata IV in B-flat Major (Mendelssohn)